Skip to main content

Poem 3 - Still I Rise - by Maya Angelou (Sem IV)




You have the ability to shape how history remembers me with your hurtful, warped lies. You have the power to walk all over me, crushing me into the dirt itself. But even so, I will rise up from the ground just as dust rises from the earth.
Does my bold and cheeky attitude offends you? Why are you so miserable? Maybe it's because of the confident way I walk as if I had oil wells right in my living room.
I am like the moon and the sun, the rises of which are as inevitable as the rise of ocean tides. Just like high hopes, I will keep rising.
Were you hoping to see me looking sad and defeated? Did you want to see me in a submissive posture, with my head bent and eyes looking down rather than up at you? Did you want to see my shoulders slouching down in the same way that tears fall down, my body having been weakened by all my intense sobbing?
Is my pride making you mad? Are you so upset because I am so happy and joyful that it seems as though I must have gold mines in my own backyard?
You have the ability to shoot at me with your words, which are like bullets. You have the ability to cut me with your sharp glare. You may even kill me with your hatred. Nevertheless, just as the air keeps rising, I will keep rising.
Does my sex appeal makes you upset? Are you taken aback by the fact that I dance as though I have precious gems between my legs?
I rise up out of history's shameful act of slavery. I rise up from this deeply painful past. I am as vast and full of power as a dark ocean that rises and swells and carries in the tide.
I rise up, and in doing so leave behind all the darkness of terror and fear. I rise up, and in doing so enter a bright morning that is full of joyful wonder. With the personal qualities and grace I inherited from my ancestors, I embody the dreams and hopes of past enslaved peoples. I will rise, and rise, and rise.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Phrose 1 - The Town Week - by E.V. Lucas (Sem IV)

In his celebrated essay, “The Town Week” E. V. Lucas very artistically painted various moods and attitudes of the urban people in the seven days of a week. On Monday, people wake up from their dreamy and lazy languor. The day seems flat as if without any colour and flavour. The fun and relic of the Saturday and Sunday have gone. They look morose and pale. A dull and monotonous life is going to eat them up once again. Reluctantly, people come back to their workplaces from their village home. The town becomes populated and busy. The local trains are over-crowded. They do not put their interest in their work. So, most of the time, they enjoy gossiping with their colleagues about their week-end spending. The laziness of Monday almost dries up on Tuesday. People become more active and exciting like “glittering star”. They take their job more seriously. The day is pretty good for the businessmen. The week looks more stirring and energetic on Wednesday. It is th...

Poem 4 - To Autumn - by John Keats

About the Poet: "To Autumn" is an  ode  by the English Romantic poet John Keats written in 1819. It is the last of his six odes (which include " Ode to a Nightingale " and " Ode on a Grecian Urn "), which are some of the most studied and celebrated poems in the English language. The poem praises autumn, describing its abundance, harvest, and transition into winter, and uses intense, sensuous imagery to elevate the the fleeting beauty of the moment. "To Autumn" is the last major work that Keats completed before his death in Rome, in 1821, where the 25-year-old succumbed to tuberculosis. About the Poem: You work to make so much fruit grow that it weighs down the branches of the mossy apple trees that grow outside the farmhouses. Together, you and the sun make every fruit completely ripe. You make gourds swell and hazel shells grow fat with a sweet nut inside. Autumn is the season of mists and mellow fruitfulness...

Poem 4 - Money Madness - by D. H. Lawrence (Sem IV)

The poet has admonished mankind entire mankind to change its perception and outlook about money. The poet begins expressing his annoyance by terming man’s attitude to money as ‘collective madness’. Each human being is ‘insane’ about money. He says man is so greedy and insecure about money that he shudders spending even a pound note. He trembles when he has to spend a ten-pound note. He feels money makes us quail. Man is judged by the amount of money he has. People who have more money, are respected more in society. Those who have less money, they are discriminated against. They are loathed by people, society, and the government. In order to save ourselves from being discriminated and live respectfully, we must have enough money with us. The poet’s wish about money is that bread, shelter, and fire should be free for all in all parts of the world. In the last stanza, he appeals to all men and women that we must become sane about handling money. If continue to be insa...